Moving House Over Christmas
Christmas is a busy period for most, with all of the festivities, celebrations, food and family get-togethers. Moving house over Christmas isn’t usually on anyone's present list! However, it is actually a popular time to move.
Think about it, kids are off school, workers have days off work for Christmas, so there would actually be less disruption if you moved house over the holidays. The only struggle you may be acquainted with, are Christmas presents. Never leave them until the last minute. Buy them early so you have one less thing to worry about when moving. Also, if it is possible, move before Christmas day!
We are sharing our top tips to help your move be less stressful.
Top Tips For Moving House at Christmas
- Make a to-do list. Do a complete brain-dump as Christmas is a hectic period, at the same time it is a memorable one. You always want to spend time with family and friends. It would be a good time to let them all know as early as possible that you are moving over the holidays, so they understand why you won’t be making the Christmas dinner for all the family this year unless of course, you want to!
- Book your removal company well in advance. As soon as you have confirmed your moving date, it is good to book your removal company as Christmas is a busy time for
- Get organised - we have a great blog post ‘How to Move House Without Stress’ that will help you get organised.
- Make sure you set up all the utilities in your new house, especially in the winter! The last thing you want is to be freezing in your new abode.
- Pack and label a Christmas box, with your essentials such as stockings and decorations in, so when you arrive at your new house you can get into the festive mood.
Moving In The Snow
Most people dream of a white Christmas, however, we all know the chaos the snow can cause especially on the roads. So, what can you do to make it easier to move in the snow?
- Hire professional movers. Have the experts pack and load your belongings and transport your possessions to your new home.
- Shovel and salt/grit the driveway and path outside of your house. It will make it easier for the movers to take your belongings safely to their van.
- Protect your floors. It is a good idea to tape some plastic sheeting or cardboard to your flooring in both properties especially if you have carpet. As there will be a lot of traffic going in and out of your house with snowy. Aim to get to your new house early. As it gets dark quickly in the winter there is also less chance of the roads being too icy.
Once you are in your new house, you can think of the unpacking, you do not want to be unpacking on New Year's Eve! We have compiled a list to help you unpack.
We wish you the best of luck with your move and hope you enjoy your move over the festive holiday period.